There are two parts to graphics modding:
- Assets (images or models), stored inside /gfx folder
- Logical names (starting with GFX_ prefix) mapping to these assets, defined inside /interface/*.gfx files.
Logical names are then either referenced from other script files, or are based on naming convention hardcoded in the engine.
Editors[edit | edit source]
Some recommended editors include:
Formats[edit | edit source]
- .tga (Truevision Targa)
- .dds (DirectDraw Surface): requires a plugin to use with GIMP or Photoshop, but works natively with Paint.NET.
- .xac/.xsm: licensed format for 3D models and animations
- .mesh/.anim: Paradox developed format for 3D models and animations. Used first in EU4 and in CK2 since Patch 2.2 (Charlemagne). Can be converted to via the JoroDox mod making tool.
Folders[edit | edit source]
Characters[edit | edit source]
This folder contains bits of faces that are stuck together to form portraits.
Coats of arms[edit | edit source]
Contains flag frames and CoA pattern & frames.
Flags[edit | edit source]
Flags are used for titles above baronies, but only for religions where
has_coa_on_barony_only = yes.
The game typically crashes if the flag is any of the following: is not 128x128, is not 24-bit, or is uncompressed.
Warning: a missing flag for a title in flags\ folder will cause wrong flags to appear for most titles, due to a shift. a good way to work around this while working on other aspects of the mod, is to give the nations placeholder flags.
Fonts[edit | edit source]
See [Tutorial] Custom Map Fonts.
Interface[edit | edit source]
Main game loads from /interface/ for christian religion group, but some assets are overridden when playing religions from other groups:
- from /indian_interface folder for indian_group religion group
- from /muslim_interface folder for muslim religion group
- from /zoroastrian_interface folder for zoroastrian_group religion group
- from /jews_interface folder for jewish_group religion group
- from /pagan_interface folder for pagan_group religion group
New religion groups load from /interface/ folder, and cannot have their own interface.
Mods cannot override assets in religion group folders, as the override is only processed for main game.
Loading screens[edit | edit source]
For optimal compression, loading screens should be saved with DTX1 compression / no mimaps.
The order loading screens appear is random, except:
- load_0.dds, which is used as splash screen
- the image with highest file name (ex: load_13.dds) has a far more likely chance (50% as of patch 2.8.2) to appear first.