With Legacy of Rome expansion, it is possible, as Emperor of the Byzantine Empire, to restore the Roman Empire by controlling key duchies of the old empire. The Byzantine Empire must also be your primary title. Restoring Rome has the following effects:
- The ruler will receive the nickname "the Glorious".
- Roman emperors are automatically given the Augustus trait, which grants +10 vassal opinion and +0.5 monthly prestige. This can stack with the +5 opinion modifier from being Born in the purple , and the +10 opinion modifier from rapidly accumulating 2000 prestige.
- With Holy Fury: If no historical Byzantine bloodline is active, ruler gets a Roman restorer bloodline with bonus culture conversion for Roman culture.
- Any duchy considered rightfully part of the Roman Empire can be attacked using the "Imperial Reconquest" CB (Muslims cannot be attacked using this CB; you'll have to risk holy war).
- The de jure capital moves from Constantinople to Rome.