This section is labeled as "under major construction", but none seems to be occurring.
I am already deep in the event scripts, attempting to construct a better system for child education, but I'm also entertaining the idea of creating a full database of all events, with more easy-to-understand structural analysis, so I thought perhaps this would be a good place to build it.
I'm going to create an article for an event, and style it the way I think event articles should be styled. I'll post the link here when I'm done. If it is pleasing and garners support, I may go ahead and begin to analyze each and every event in the game files.
In the meanwhile, I have several points I wish to bring up, in case anyone has feedback:
- I'm thinking of naming event articles after their NUMBERS, such as "Event 913" instead of "Chancellor Attempts to Fabricate Claims" or somesuch. Although the numerical format has its own problems, it is the least subjective, and easy to search for (each event article will include its text, so the search function should be able to find the right one).
- I don't know how templates work on this wiki, I'm accustomed to working in Wikia which has a lot of powerful tools. If anyone can comment on this, it will be appreciated.
- Is there a functioning administration here that can help ensure that, if others join in the effort, their produced content will match the style I'll be settings?
- There's a massive number of events in the game, so pages for individual events would not be a good idea. Pages for individual event files however would be fine.
- Template documentation. ~ Meneth (talk) 19:52, 13 January 2015 (CET)
I wish to help you to reconstruct events pages
I will start at wol events, which is most needed I think.:-D
I will try to coordinate with the first page's format, but I think a series events should be in the same page, divided into different sections.
when I complete, I hope you guys could help me improve it. After all, I have just edited a few pages in wikipedia and I lack experience. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Binworm (Talk) 06:53, 11 January 2016 (CET)
- I believe events pages are an impossible task to do (and maintain) by hand, due to the massive number of events involved (6000+ as of WoL).
- A parsing tool that generates wiki markup from event files and localization would be more reasonable.
- Maybe it could display triggers and effects using the 'pseudo-natural' language we see in tooltips.
- -Romulien (talk) 23:00, 11 January 2016 (CET)
I got your feelingT_T. It's hard even for a single event chain. But I don't know how to use those tools, maybe I should finish the WOL Business Events file then wait. --Binworm (talk) 09:40, 12 January 2016 (CET)
Event ID lists
I've seen you were expanding the pages listing events, there was a bit of discussion in the past on Talk:Events. How do you see these lists of event IDs be used by players ? Is it for triggering some events manually via console ?
I don't believe manually creating descriptions/options (and fill them bits by bits) for all in-game events is going to get us very far - most advance page is WOL Business Events, and it hasn't proven the viability of the idea yet.
- As to events, I have a rather general idea as to how the structure should perhaps be.
- Events should be the portal to the individual event files (organized by file structure to ease updating) as well as explain event mechanics (mtth, what are letter_events or character_events, etc) and linking to the wiki modding pages, which hopefully having IDs listed will give modders a database to begin looking for the events they are looking to modify or integrate into their mods and give descriptions to the important chains.
- Something like Landless Character Adventures would function as a both a list for event ID files as well as serving as a portal themselves to link important events and event chains. They are also organized and named by how they are listed in their files to also ease updating. I've tried to use a standard format for these pages with the versioning template and mod category so we can keep track of them and easily update them as new expansions and updates come out.
- The most important events and event chains would have their own pages in the style of something like WOL Business Events or Ruler is in the red. Go to the moneylenders., though as to the latter I'm not sure I would consider that an important event, but at least a style to try and standardize on the individual pages.
- Let me know what you think about and i'll try to keep helping out as a i've got bit of freetime till college starts. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Joe246 (Talk) 01:23, August 20, 2016 (CET)
- That is a good point; Meneth is probably the best to answer that. If and when CK2 will finally get events on the wiki [over 4K now?], it should be done with the event template. ~ SolSys (talk) 14:34, 20 August 2016 (CEST)
- I gonna try to make a sort of proof of concept example for the events page. I see that a lot of people are looking for the Demon Child event chain, Crusader Kings II Wiki:Administration, see 30,64,88,109,156 so ill do that one next. Ill make a link on the event page to Sons of Abraham various events then on the event ID list a link to the Demon child event. Ill use Template:Event on it as SolSys suggested. That way we can see how it works out and add a useful page that people are looking for. --Joe246 (talk) 17:27, 20 August 2016 (CEST)
alright the demon child page has been started using the template. Its in a rough state at the moment and some events are described using the code found in the game files though they are placeholder at the moment. Theres only a few events right now but ill add some more before the day is over. --Joe246 (talk) 20:18, 20 August 2016 (CEST)
- It's indeed a looking nicer [I'm considering changing the option button, but at a later time]; you may want to make initial drafts in your userpage and move the final revision to the main-pages. The event/option templates have undergone some minor revisions since they were imported to CK2 so I have updated them. The latest events added to the wikis were for HoI4, so for general structure/styling you can check HoI4 events or my HoI4 Sandbox. ~ SolSys (talk)
- Thanks for the updates to the template, and I took look at HOI4's event page. It looks like you guys are doing pretty great over there and i'll try my best to keep that some level of quality as I'm adding these events, and please feel free to let me know if I do anything dumb, I don't mind a little constructive criticism. I'm going through the IDs as I find the time and adding them, and i just added the ever popular Glitterhoof event as well. --Joe246 (talk) 07:38, 23 August 2016 (CEST)
- Since you just starting them, adding extra info might be a bit problematic. In any case:
- Whenever editing make sure you conform as possible to wiki style guidelines. It will save time down the road.
- Try not to use bold unless necessary - use italics instead [it gets confusing in conjunction with headers].
- Use red/green to indicate loss/gain for modifiers - as opposed to loss/gain of modifiers themselves [use italics instead].
- You seem to place content of Is triggered only by in Trigger conditions.
- There is no need to add bold/italics to event/option text as they are already stylized in the template.
- In the case of small event files, try to group several of them on one page [divided by headers to indicate different files].
- Thanks for the tips and the changes to the Glitterhoof event looks great by the way. Let me know if you have any event chains you think should take priority. I did Glitterhoof and Demon child not because their funny events, but because their listed under the most common searches in Crusader Kings II Wiki:Administration. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Joe246 (Talk) 18:16, 23 August 2016 (CEST)
Seeing that the page becomes unwieldy with the on-going additions of info, I'd like to propose one of the following layout changes:
- Bulletins - in the same style as the current EU4 / HoI4 event pages. Events with a common theme are grouped together [nations, religions, etc] and pages are given more meaningful names
- Table - Since I'm not sure how CK2 event files are arranged [theme, DLC, etc] you can also use a sortable table as described below [see Template:Icon for DLC icons].
- Example 1 - Bulletins
Way of Life events
Short description/notes here.
- Example 2 - Table
|File Name [link]||Short description/notes||DLC?|
|Chronicle||Special Chronicle events|
|Civil War||If your vassal dislike you, there is mostly likely going to be a civil war|
|WOL Business Events||no description found on page|