DLC features[edit | edit source]
- New Start date: 769.
- Viceroyalty: non-tribal emperor tier characters will be able to appoint viceroys (lifetime governorship, the title goes back to the liege on death).
- Custom kingdoms and empires (3 duchies or 1 duchy and certain realm size to form a custom kingdom, 3 kingdoms or 1 kingdom and certain realm size to form a custom empire)
- Narrative events to tell historical stories between Charlemagne, Carloman and related characters.
- Chronicles of your dynasty
- Special features of Zuni religion
- Graphics for early Western, Eastern and Muslim units
- More information on these features is available in the DLC manual, though some details may have changed in later patches to the game.
Patch features[edit | edit source]
- Tribal holdings (buildings built with prestige, vassals need to be called as allies) that can potentially become feudal castle or merchant republic city.
- Centralization, a set of laws balancing a new vassal limit vs demesne size limit.
- Legalism cultural technology only unlocks new laws. Short reign penalty is moved to the Majesty technology.
- Regency overhaul: new Designated Regent honorary title, regent traits and his opinion of the ruler matters, in particular for unlocking diplomatic actions.
- Elective gavelkind succession law
- Assassination diplomacy action removed.
- Seasonal effects: attrition increased with snow
- New UI for selecting start date and initial character.
- Spectator mode
- Cultural melting pots and decisions
Critical reception[edit | edit source]
Upon release, Charlemagne was extremely well received. Critics praised the additional time period, the implementation of seasonal changes and changes to assassination and law systems. It currently holds a score of 80/100 on metacritic.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- CM is the first expansion with Johan Lerström as project lead.
Dev diaries[edit | edit source]
|No.||Title and Link||Description||Date|
|1||Let's get Early Medieval||New cultures and religion changes introduced to properly represent new start date in year 769.||2014-09-17|
|2||Kings, Queens and Murderers||Custom kingdoms and empires, chronicle and changes to the plot mechanism related to assassination.||2014-09-24|
|3||Ruling the Unruly||Vassal limit, centralization law and viceroys. Changes in regency system.||2014-10-01|
|4||The Tribes||Holding and government type created to properly represent tribal nations.||2014-10-08|