Monks and Mystics
Release date / Patch
Store: Music pack
Monks and Mystics (M&M) is the 11th major expansion for Crusader Kings II. It was announced on 2016-12-02 and released on the 7th of March 2017.
Description[edit | edit source]
The bells of the abbey summon monks to prayer while, a continent away, the faithful are summoned by a muezzin’s call. Religious practice imposes a schedule on the chaos of medieval life, and the routine adds harmony to a divided realm.
Routine and harmony. We can’t have that, can we?
The major feature of Monks and Mystics is the addition of Societies – secret and otherwise. Characters can join monastic orders, secret cults and Gnostic heresies. As the society gains members, it gains power and prestige for its leaders. Societies open new actions for characters and can lead to new event paths.
Societies[edit | edit source]
Societies represent groups of like-minded characters who are working together for personal and mutual profit.:
- Societies can be public (automatic join) or secret (need to be offered membership from another member).
- Members have ranks, working their way up the ladder of societies, unlocking new abilities and triggering new event chains.
Though societies are a patch feature (and can be expanded by mods), all but secret cults are part of the expansion.
DLC features[edit | edit source]
List of societies part of DLC:
- 4th councillor jobs:
- Chancellor - Perform Statecraft: increases threat decay speed, and can fire events which improve relations with random vassals, neighbours, or liege.
- Marshal - Organize the Army: lowers the upkeep cost of retinue (or horde), and can fire events to train existing or find new commander
- Steward - Administer Realm: increases the speed of cultural conversion in realm provinces, and can fire events adding economic bonuses to any province.
- Spymaster - Sabotage: target province will suffer damage, gain unrest, and may even be made easier to siege.
- Court Chaplain - Hunt Heretics: hunts for members of secret societies.
- Artifacts and relics: commissioning swords from skilled smiths, buying fabulous Crown Jewels, hunting for Holy Artifacts.
- Allies in Wars: a player can command its allies in a war, ordering them to hunt for enemy armies, to siege strongholds (either by itself or a specific province), or attach them to a specific army.
- Prisoner mass actions (release, ransom, or execute all)
- Ability to randomize the name of newborn children (after a parent, a grand-parent, a random ancestor or a random cultural name)
- Two sets of portraits and units for Norman and English cultures, as well as Central Germanic culture group:
Patch features[edit | edit source]
Secret cults[edit | edit source]
Almost all of the main (non-heretic) religions have a corresponding "secret cult", consisting of followers who falsely profess faith in one religion while secretly belonging to another.
- Members get missions and powers to induce Sympathy for their real religion in other characters in the realm as well as the population in the counties
- At the highest rank, the ruler can overtly embrace the religion and convert. With careful groundwork, an extremely powerful religious revolt can be staged.
Note: You may only form a Secret Cult as a pagan if the religion has already been reformed.
Quality of life changes[edit | edit source]
- New decisions menu showing 6 decisions at once, rather than the old 4.
- Ability to mark a decision as important or not, which will trigger its alerts
- New tab My Plots, showing clearly who the target of each backed plot is
- New buttons in Known Plots tab, to ask the plotter to end their plot, and ask to join to a plot
- Improved events now showing the targets of plot when invited to join, or option to keep a plot secret when a plotter tries and fails to kill your spymaster due to them discovering their plot.
- Battle indicator showing whenever a unit entering a province (or two units, if they’re entering the same province) will cause a battle to occur.
- Garrison tooltip showing levy, and the garrison+levy numbers
- "Embark All" button for when having multiple units selected
- Game rules categories and four save slots allowing to have different pre-sets of rules.
- Character finder reset filter, configuration pre-sets, filter by diplomatic range, filter by joining your court
- Councilor selection screen with voting pattern indicators
- Ask the Council to consider a vote before actually voting on it, which allows it to be shown on the Council screen along with icons on each Councilor showing how they will vote.
- Childhood education screen will now show which traits the child has got that positively or negatively influence the different education choices
- Commander auto-assignment checkbox
Map fixes[edit | edit source]
Most hideous offenders on the map have been fixed, in particular:
- Ural mountains
- Lake Baikal
- The Ganges river
- Kingdom of Cumania de jure changes
- Kingdom of Greece and Kingdom of Trebizond de jure changes
- Hungary and the Danube
Misc[edit | edit source]
- Treasury system to see a character’s items as physical objects, and allowing items to be inheritable and stealable. Some existing character modifiers from events will be converted into items, such as the +1 axe, the saint’s bones, or the trophy made from the skull of a rival.
- Adjustment of audio volume for all audio assets (ambient sound effects are lower in the background until zooming in, interface sound effects do not interrupt the music, ...)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
Monks and Mystics was the second and final DLC with David "Darkrenown" Ballantyne as Game Designer.
Dev diaries[edit | edit source]
All developer diaries about the Monks and Mystics expansion and patch 2.7.
|No.||Title and Link||Description||Date|
|1||Man vs. Machine||Work has begun on the next expansion. What interface improvements would you want to see?||2016-09-26|
|2||Easing Executions||Mockup of new intrigue screen||2016-10-17|
|3||Illumination||Darkness surrounds us||2016-11-07|
|4||Audio Mix||Björn "Metal King" Iversen has done some mixing of the sound||2016-11-14|
|5||Back to work||The next expansion will introduce a fourth possible task for your councillors||2016-11-21|
|6||Intriguing quality of life changes||Quality of Life changes coming in the next free patch||2016-11-28|
|7||Let's talk about sects||Societies are coming in Monks and Mystics||2016-12-05|
|8||Facts about Artifacts||A new treasury system will be added in the upcoming 2.7 patch.||2016-12-12|
|9||Who ordered these Monks||Monastic Orders in Monks and Mystics||2016-12-19|
|10||The Witching Hour||Demon Worshippers and Assassins||2017-01-09|
|11||Three times greater||Hermetic Societies||2017-01-16|
|12||My Kingdom for an Interface||Meneth goes over the many QoL changes included in the 2.7 patch||2017-01-23|
|13||As you wish...||Allied armies directions||2017-01-30|
|14||Visiting the Cartographer||Map changes coming in patch 2.7||2017-02-06|
|15||Secret Religious Cults||Practicing a secret faith while openly belonging to another, new feature part of the free 2.7 patch||2017-02-13|
|16||Five Years of Crusader Kings II||Henrik Fåhraeus and Chris King look back and reminiscence of the roads taken - or not - since the CK2 launch||2017-02-14|
|17||The Ever Changing Changelog||A look at parts of the 2.7 changelog||2017-02-20|
|18||An Expansion Should Not Travel Alone||Portraits and Models in Monks and Mystics + 2.7 changelog||2017-02-27|
|19||Update 2.7||Patch notes for Monks and Mystics and the free 2.7 update||2017-03-06|
|20||The Adjustment Bureau||2.7.1 patch information||2017-03-13|
|21||Surveying the Survey||What we found out from a survey about paid features||2017-03-20|
|22||For the Faith!||Secret Religious Cults revamped||2017-03-27|
|23||2.7.1 Patch Notes||Patch notes reveal and a (possible) open beta||2017-04-03|
|24||Mods and mod telemetry||Mods and how they are used||2017-04-24|
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics announced!
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #33: Let's Talk About Sects
- ↑ CK2 DD#35: Who ordered these Monks?
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary DD#37: Three times greater
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #36: The Witching Hour
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #31: Back to work
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #34: Facts about Artifacts, Real talk about Relics
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #39 - As you wish...
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #43: An Expansion Should Not Travel Alone
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #41: Secret Religious Cults
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #32: Intriguing quality of life changes
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #38 - My Kingdom for an Interface
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #40: Visiting the Cartographer
- ↑ CK2 Dev Diary #30 - Audio Mix