Release date / Patch
Store: Content pack
Store: Music pack
It makes nine existing merchant republics playable: Venice, Amalfi, Genoa, Pisa, Gotland, Ancona, Ragusa, Pechina, and the Hansa, as well as custom-created republics. The player plays a Patrician - the head of a merchant family.
The DLC allows the player to play as a Patrician in a merchant republic, but all the other changes were rolled into the free patch.
Main features[edit | edit source]
- New and different type of gameplay, with city holdings as province capitals, lower demesne limit and usage of mercenaries for warfare.
- Trade empire management by building and improving trade post holdings and controlling trade zones in the sea lanes and coasts of Europe.
- New Embargo CB, to defend trade posts against rival Republics and greedy feudal lords
- Republic Casus Belli to seize coastal cities with a trade post, which can be followed up to seize counties with a city.
- New patrician elective succession law: Patrician families compete for the coveted position of Doge and the leadership of the Republic. It is possible to compensate for lack of age and Prestige by investing money in a campaign fund.
- Losing the election is not game over, thanks to the family palace holding.
- Events related to feuds with other Patrician families and plots to seize Trade Posts from rivals
- New Republican skin for the interface.
- Unique Clothes and ship models for Republics.
Dev diaries[edit | edit source]
|No.||Title and Link||Description||Date|
|1||The Five Families||Announces The Republic DLC and the mechanics of the new merchant republics||2012-12-19|
|2||War and Trade||Discusses the new trade mechanics and embargoes.||2012-12-26|
|3||Government||Covers the republic mechanics and how the Doge is elected.||2013-01-03|
|4||Events and Decisions||Discusses new events and patch 1.09 changes.||2013-01-09|
|5||"Post Mortem" Thoughts||Discusses The Republic post-release.||2013-01-30|
Interesting characters to play[edit | edit source]
|Patrician Enrico of Dandolo||Enrico Dandolo, a famous blind Patrician, 41st Doge of Venice but the first to swear an oath of office as he took on the role. Renowned for his leadership in the Fourth Crusade, Enrico is remembered to have ushered in an era of prosperity to the Venetian Republic.||The Third Crusade, 1187 AD||Dandolo|
|Mayor Gunnar of Visby||The city of Visby is known to have been a center of mercantile as early as 900. With access to fresh water and a natural harbor, the town flourished as part of the German Hanseatic League.||Age of the Mongols, 1220 AD||Gotland|
|Mayor Heinrich of the Hansa||The Hanseatic League (the Hansa) was a confederation of merchant guilds that dominated the Baltic maritime. As a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire, with the Republic Expansion you can play as this merchant league that dominated the Baltic trade for 300 years.||Rise of the Hansa, 1241 AD||The Hansa|
|Doge Oberto||Located in the north Ligurian Sea, Genoa was an independent state from 1005 and is one of the essential historic ports on the Mediterranean. Through participation in the Crusades, Genoese gained additional soil in Northern Africa, the Middle East, and other areas.||Late Middle Ages, 1337 AD||Genoa|
References[edit | edit source]